Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Huge Undertaking

For my 3 day weekend to celebrate the 4th of July, I have a massive plan for myself. A will be flying for work so he won't get to celebrate with me, so I decided that it is time to organize my home office.

I've always dreamed of having a home office. A few years ago, we owned a 3 BR/1 1/2 BA townhome in Tooele, UT. I love it. I had my own room that was to be my home office. However, my dreams were shattered when we received notice from A's work that his position in Salt Lake was going away and that they would have to transfer him to Hawaii in order to keep him employed there (hence the move to Hawaii). This came within 6 months of moving into that house. I didn't have a chance to do anything to that room. Bummer.

Our new house here in Juneau is a 2 BR/1BA townhome. I claimed the second bedroom as an office before we even closed on the house. A wasn't too happy about it, mainly because I have always relegated the 2nd bedroom where ever we are to him and his computer equipment. I decided that it was my turn to get my space. So my computer is set up here. I am setting up bookcases to turn some of it into a library. I am finally going to be able to unpack all the random paperwork boxes that we have kept for several years over numerous moves and consolidate all the files. This is the weekend to do it.

I have all these ideas in my head about how I want to organize everything. But the first step is to clean it all out. I had to move a broken futon out of here (I slept on it in "my room" until our stuff came up from Utah... but that's another entry) and I can't believe how much space I have now. The next step is to get a small table and a filing cabinet in here to help me go through all the boxes.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering why I can't share the room with him... He has a very loud system to play FlightSim and Medal of Honor on it. It is very annoying and I can't concentrate on what I need to do with that going on in the background. That, and he doesn't keep his computer area very neat and it tends to aggrivate me. I know my space is messy too, but once I have a place to put things (and I will after this week) I keep it clean (just look at my office at work).

1 comment:

danette said...

Wow, that's an ambitious project! I get tired just thinking about organizing in our office... good luck!

Oh, it would be cool if you post some "before" and "after" pictures so we can see the transformation!