Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another Wednesday Night

Well, tonight would normally be the night that I would "try something new," being that it's Wednesday. Well, we ended up swapping tonight's meal with last night's meal. Last night we tried "Beef Pita Sandwiches." It's a variation on what got me through my 1 week of training in Anchorage. While I was in Anchorage, I got a very large (unintentionally, they just always serve it that way) portion of Beef Brisket at one of my favorite restaurants there. I decided, since I had a fridge in my room (and to save some money), to use it for my dinners during the week. I went to the store and got some pita bread and some viniagrette salad dressing (I don't remember what kind now) and some lettuce. Each night, I would heat up a portion of my beef brisket, shred it, and mix in the salad dressing. Then I would stuff a pita with the mix and some lettuce. It was really good.

Last night I tried to do the same thing with our left over roast from Sunday. Only I changed it up a bit. I didn't add the salad dressing, just some of the juice we reserved from the roasting. And I added some shredded mozzarella. It was a quick, easy and delicious meal. And relatively healthy for you, as pita bread is lower in glycemic value than regular bread. A really liked it.

Since we had that last night, that meant that tonight I would have made "chinese." A loves Orange Chicken from Panda Express. We don't have one of those here, and the local chinese restaurant doesn't make it the same way. I was going to try a recipe that I have for Orange Chicken. But, alas, I woke up late this morning (thank you "dead cell phone") and forgot to take chicken out of the freezer. I must now consult the menu for the week to decide if I want to exchange Orange Chicken for tomorrow night's meal or stick with what I originally planned.

As for tonight, I actually haven't cooked dinner yet. A wasn't hungry when I got home and is now fast asleep (he's had a 4:00 AM call time to work all week... He's plum tuckered out). I don't imagine that I'll wake him just for dinner. I may make him something he can take to work tomorrow for when he gets hungry.

No comments: