Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mom's birthday. My mom is a very special person who has not had the easiest life. When I was 6, she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I don't have very many memories of life when my mom wasn't in a wheelchair or using a walker. She's had her ups and downs, has had her share of falls, but she doesn't let that affect her. She is always finding some way to make her experiences funny. I remember her telling me that when she was diagnosed, she broke down. Then it hit her that if she didn't change her attitude right then, she would end up dead. Ever since then she has turned her experiences into a joke.She has lived with MS for 20 years now and is doing pretty well. She is still mobile enough to get around the house using her walker for short stretches. For longer stretches, she uses her wheelchair.

It's hard sometimes to deal with my mom, but I want her to know that I think she is one of the strongest women I know and that I love her very much. Without her as an example to me, I'm not sure that I would have the same outlook on life that I do.

I love you, Mom. Happy Birthday

No comments: