Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Next Few Moves

I guess we are getting to the part where I talk about moves 6, 7 and 8...

Move 6 was the one from Juneau to Iliamna, AK. That year, we had gone to Anchorage for A's birthday. We flew our plane up and parked next to a really cool airplane. What is an airplane freak supposed to do but go and find the pilot of the really cool airplane and do the pilot speak? Now, I, not being an "airplane freak" sat on the couch in the FBO eating popcorn, patiently waiting for my man to get it out of his system. He walked away with a job offer. It was more money than he was getting in Juneau, and actual IFR experience (which pilots lust for because it looks good on the resume). We decided to take it.

The only good thing that came out of that move was the experience he got to add to his resume. It was an extremely stifling environment, with restrictions on our personal lives coming from his new boss. We were pretty well isolated too. When ever we needed a break to get out of the village for the weekend, his time off request was denied, almost every time. Needless to say, it was not a great situation for us. I won't go into too much detail, but I initiated the next move.

I decided to move near my family in Montana (that's move #7). A decided to give up flying in Alaska and he joined me shortly afterwards. He got hired on at a company based about 100 mi from where my family lived - SCORE! They didn't have an opening at that base, but they did in Salt Lake - SUCKY! It was either take the job and move to Salt Lake, or stay unemployed, skills withering away, while I lived where I wanted to... Pretty easy choice for the most part.

So we bought a house in Utah (Move #8). It was OK. I liked my house. A had a really good schedule. The dog was happy. Then came the call that A's position was going away, thus initiating move #9, which is a whole other post due to the BS involved with it.

No comments: