Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When is Chocolate a Bad Thing?

In most respects, the answer would be "Never!"... unless your dog gets a hold of it...

I went home for lunch today to find a bag of Dark Chocolate pieces and various wrappers on the floor... The first question to mind was "Honey, did you leave this mess of chocolate wrappers?" all the while KNOWING the dog got into it...

Great, ROUND 2!

Noni got into chocolate when she was still a puppy, along the same lines... She got into it while the hubby left to get me from work. Now, usually, I leave her in her kennel when I leave the house... It keep her out of stuff and keeps her from stressing over the fact that I left... But not the man... He likes to leave her out... And this is what happens...

We (and by we, I mean "I") caught it early enough to administer "first aid"... It worked the last time, and it seemed to work today. We were told last time to pour some hydrogen peroxide down her throat. It doesn't take much, and it induces vomitting within a few minutes. Now she is on watch to see if she gets any sicker. She was only home for about 10 minutes alone, so I don't think it had enough time to do too much damage, but since it was entirely dark chocolate, you can't be too careful. Hopefully we don't have to make a trip to the vet later...

So much for a relaxing lunch break...

5 comments:

GeronimoDriver said...

The dog is fine.

Vgerdeb said...

You'd be amazed how much chocolate can be ingested in 10 minutes. I speak from experience. Oh, wait, that's "people" experience......

levengoodvet678 said...

Watch her closely. Any signs of "intoxication" (acting drunk) and get her to the vet immediately. Chocolate is very bad for dogs and the darker the worse it is because it contains more concentration of the toxic compound theobromine. At least it wasn't baking chocolate. I'm sorry Noni got into the chocolate again, maybe this will be incentive for hubby to keep her locked up (but maybe not). Keep me posted.

Tripacerchick said...

She seems to be OK today. She had a relapse last night (won't go into too many details, but she ended up eating chocolate again) and we had to do the hydro-peroxide again. She proceeded to get sick in her kennel about an hour later, but now she seems like she is fine. She's been resting and when I checked on her at lunch today, she had her normal energy levels back.

levengoodvet678 said...

I'm glad she's doing well. But she's got to stop this self-destructive fetish of hers or it is going to get her into a lot of trouble.