Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Night Dinner : Beef & Broccoli Noodles

I have a recipe for traditional Beef & Broccoli, but I created this variation for weekdays when I don't feel like "velveting the beef." The main difference is that I use ground beef for my "everynight" version rather than beef steak for the traditional. I also don't use the tradional recipe for the Brown Sauce as my cook book calls for it, mainly because I think it's too heavy on Hoisen and Oyster sauce. I use both ingredients, but I don't measure them. I also use more soy sauce, as I prefer that flavor to the others. I make the Brown Sauce that way wether I'm making it tradionally or not.

You can season the meat however you want. I usually put it in a bowl, add some garlic, maybe some fresh grated ginger (if I have it), some green onions (white to light green part only, I use the green parts for garnish later), soy sauce, wine/sherry (usually I'll just use whatever I have in my fridge), salt and pepper. I will put it together and let it sit until A decides he's hungry enough to eat dinner, which is usually around 7. I don't measure, I just use what I think it needs. I do start out with a pound of beef, so add whatever you like.

Before you are ready to cook dinner, bring together the following:(This is the traditional recipe for Brown Sauce, but I'll put my notes for my own tastes.)

1 Tbs + 1 tsp of oyster sauce (I use MAYBE 1 1/2 tsp)
3 tsp of hoisin sauce (again, I use MAYBE 1 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp sherry (I use whatever alcohol I add to the meat to tenderize, and I usually use a bit more than the 1 tsp called for, probably closer to 1/8 of a cup)
1 tsp soy sauce (I use about as much soy sauce as wine, I just eyeball it)
1/2 tsp sugar (unaltered)
1/2 c beef broth or juices from cooked meat (when I do traditional, I'll keep this intact, when I do my altered version, I will add what is needed when I bring the sauce together)

Mix thoroughly and I let it sit until I'm ready to use it. Just before you are ready to cook the sauce, combine 2 Tbs water and 1 Tbs of cornstarch and add to the brown sauce.

Brown the meat in a little bit of oil, trying to keep larger chunks of beef (I usually do this by rolling out little "meatballs". Because I don't use a binder, it will usually break apart while cooking, but it leaves larger pieces). Cook the pasta while the meat is browning.(I use Angel Hair when I cook with the noodles, but you can serve this with rice also)

When the meat is done, add the brown sauce after you mix in the cornstarch and bring to a boil, until thickened. Add more beef broth if necessary. Toss the pasta into the sauce and let sit to combine. Steam some frozen broccoli in the microwave (or use another method if you prefer) and add to the mix. Serve hot. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds (if you have them) and enjoy!

Please let me know if you want the "full and complete" recipe for the traditional version of Beef & Broccoli.

EXTRA INFORMATION: ADDED 10/9/08
I made this post before I cooked the dinner last night. I found that I didn't have any beef broth, so I used chicken, and it was OK. It was also the first time I made it with pasta rather than rice, and I found I needed to add some of the pasta water to the sauce when it was coming together in order to have enough sauce for the pasta. The dinner came together in about 15-20 minutes.

3 comments:

Lee said...

I've changed my blog's name and url. It is now called Intermittent Ruminations.

Flyboy said...

They say microwaving broccoli destroys almost all the beneficial antioxidants in it.

Jen said...

Yeah, but when you are using frozen to begin with, you probably aren't starting out with much. When I make the full-on traditional, I use fresh broccoli and steam it. For the quick and easy version, I go for quick and easy broccoli...