Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Times Gone By...

I requested "The Glenn Miller Story" from Netflix a while ago, with the intention that A and I would watch it together. Sadly, I forgot to change my queue to adjust for his absence and it came a few days after he left. I kind of set it aside, forgetting that it is going to be "a while" before he comes home again. I decided to watch it tonight.

This movie is special to us. There are several reasons. One of them is that neither of us have seen the movie together. We've both watched it seperately. But we both LOVE Big Band music and Glenn Miller in particular.

When A was first learning how to fly, he was living in Texas and flying out of an airport where a bunch of WWII pilots hung out. He enjoyed hanging around them, listening to their stories, and getting their advise on flying. I think he attributes his stick and rudder skills to them helping him. He has always been drawn to the 1940's, the era and the airplanes. When I met him, I was introduced to the time period, and I fell in love with it too.

When we were first planning our wedding, we wanted a 1940's themed wedding. He had a friend that had a War-Bird in a hanger, and we wanted to have the wedding there. Unfortunately, we were unable to, due to insurance purposes (or something like that). But I still think about it now and then. The clothes, the romance, the music moving through you... The kind that makes your chest feel like it's about to burst, like you've taken too much air into your lungs... The kind that makes you move... The kind that makes you think of the one you love... With A being gone, it is easy for me to pretend I am in that era, with him away at war, writing love letters to each other... Except, I am staring at a computer screen... And he's not getting shot at (that I know of)...

Our song is "Moonlight Serenade". I found this on YouTube this evening. It's a pretty boring video, mainly because it is just a video of a record playing... But if you close your eyes, you will be transported to another time. We have some Glenn Miller records that we purchased off of ebay years ago, but we don't have our record player working right now. This record is played on an old victrola. The sound is phenominal. You can hear every little nuance in the recording, something that is rare in a modern recording. Enjoy... I know I will...

No comments: