Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Getting Excited...

I am so excited for the holidiays this year... Barring all possible weather and transportation problems, A and I will be together for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, which hasn't happened in about 5 years...

My mom isn't really helping to curb the excitement. She's been posting all the family holiday recipes on her blog. There are a few that I don't remember from growing up (she finally admitted that a couple of the recipes were new...) and some tried and true from way back when. I don't know if I will (or should) make all the tasty goodies. One of my favorites is Raisen Pie. It sounds really gross, and doesn't look too good, but my mom (and my aunt, and my grandma) would make this pie for Thanksgiving AND Christmas EVERY YEAR. It was my personal tradition to stay away from it the day of the holiday (in order to get more Pumpkin Pie in my system) and I would have a slice of Raisen Pie for breakfast the day after. I don't think A likes Raisen Pie, so it's not really worth it for me to make one just for me...

There is another family recipe, Pumple Pie... It's half apple, half pumpkin. It's AWESOME! It's A's favorite out of the pies (at least that I remember, it's been 5 years people...) It's pretty simple. If you are making an Apple Pie and a Pumpkin Pie, just get a deep dish pie plate and put a layer of apple down, then pour the pumpkin batter on top. Bake like a pumpkin pie, but put it on a cookie sheet, because the apple does bubble up. My mom uses a whole can of apple pie filling in her pie, but I use half. Although, this year, I will attempt to make the apple part from scratch (I found a recipe for apple pie that pre-cooks the apples, which is what this recipe needs). I'll let you all know how it turns out.

If you want to check out more of my family recipes, visit my mom's blog. If you have any holiday recipes that you would like to share, please let me know. I'm always on the lookout for good food.

No comments: