Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanks to my husband...

After basically ignoring my husband all Friday evening and all day Saturday, while I read the "new" Gilmore Girls episodes, we decided that we would do a movie night. We found "License to Drive" was playing at 8:00 PM, which I had never seen before, so we made plans to watch it. We ordered pizza and enjoyed what we could of the movie... Is it just me, or is it getting painful to watch 80's movies 20 years later. They are still good, but only in the "I can't believe I liked this when I was 8" kind of way...

So when that movie was over, we started watching the one that came on after License to Drive (I won't say the name of the movie, because it wasn't a very good one) and then the DVR went crazy on us and we had to switch back to "live" (we had paused License to Drive while we were getting situated for the night, so we were about 30 minutes off "live"). When we did, we caught the last 30 minutes of "Space Balls, The Movie" LOL... That movie is just as stupid as I remember it, but seeing it as an adult, I get the jokes a lot more than I did when I was 10. LOL

After that was over, A suggested that we watch "The General," which was on a few nights ago and he recorded it. I remembered watching the first 10 minutes of it before I went to sleep. It happens to be one of A's favorite movies, and so I snuggled in to watch it with him. It is a silent film, which I hadn't seen any of this genre ever, but I really enjoyed it. The comedic timing is perfect, and subtle. Something you don't see much today. The facial expressions just had me rolling at times. Like when he goes to save his girl, and they get away, and she thinks he came "just to save her" and, of course, being a guy, he's going to play to this. Like, "Oh, yeah, baby, I couldn't have left you with those monsters, Give me a kiss as thanks now...." LOL I have now added as many Buster Keaton movies as Netflix has to my list.

It's quite refreshing to get to watch a movie like that, without getting hit over the head with obvious and quite vulgar humor that is so prevalent in today's movies.

So, thanks to my husband, I have found another passion... Silent Movies! Maybe we'll make one ourselves, starting Noni... If we do, I'll post it...

1 comment:

Flyboy said...

Try Modern Times or The Little Dictator with Charlie Chaplin. Modern Times is funny. The Little Dictator is scary in how prophetic it was for Adolph Hitler.