Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Home-made Burritos

Growing up, my mom used to make a large batch of burritos at the beginning of the month and freeze them. I've done the same thing on several occasions. I usually make a batch when I buy ground beef in bulk. The recipe is very simple, and extremely versatile. I'll post the recipe that I used tonight, but basically everything in the recipe can be changed out for something else, or omitted entirely.

Recipe as follows:

2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion (shredded, but only because I don't like chunks of onion)
3-5 minced garlic cloved (or garlic powder. I've used powder in the past and it works well)
salt, pepper, chili powder (I used New Mexico Chili Powder)
2 cans of refried beans
burrito size flour tortillas
shredded cheese
1 can green chili (or fresh, if you have it, or omit it if you don't like it.)

Using a dutch oven, brown the ground beef, mix in onion, garlic, and seasonings. You can use as much seasoning as you like. I didn't measure, I just checked the flavor of the meat when it was done browning. When it is seasoned properly, add the 2 cans of beans to the meat and mix thouroughly. Taste again to make sure it is still seasoned properly.

Warm up the tortillas on a warm skillet (preferred) or in the microwave. Put as much meat/bean mix as you want in the middle of the tortilla, top with as much cheese as you want, and as much chilis and you want. Wrap the burritos, tucking the ends in before the final flip. Wrap the burrito in either wax paper or plastic wrap, then again in aluminum foil. Lable and freeze. When I was growing up, I didn't like chilis, so my mom would make some with and some without. If you have any picky kids like that, make sure to lable the burritos with wether there are chilis or not.

To heat the frozen burritos, you can bake them, microwave them, fry them (my favorite).

The number of burritos this recipe makes is variable as to how much filling you use, etc... You can also try a chicken burrito using ground chicken. Have fun mixing it up. Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments: