Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Am I getting old...

...or is society getting worse?

I find it EXTREMELY difficult to listen to anything on the radio anymore... The lyrics for a lot of new songs are suggestive and vulgar and insulting to a lot of people (or maybe just me)... What ever happened to telling a story without swearing through the song? And I tell you, I am far from being a prude (or at least think I am). I don't think that anyone should be listening to what is played on the radio... It used to be that if you wanted a song with bad/suggestive lyrics, you had to go buy the CD with the black disclaimer sticker on it... If I have to hear that "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" song one more time, I think I MAY just blow up my radio...

This doesn't take into account the other trash that is being played... Songs like Miley Cyrus' new song, where she looks like a tramp in the video... I cannot stand that song... I want to rip my ears off when it comes on the radio... Other songs like ANYTHING from Taylor Swift, can be left off the radio as well...

Another part of my radio rant is about what they play and when... It seems like EVERY station out there (in the same genre) plays the exact same songs in the exact same order, but at "slightly" different times... Case in point, I can be listening to our local "mix" station, and can hear that stupid song by Mariah Carey (you know the one..."why you so obsessed with me?..." at least 3 times a day... It seems it is on every morning as soon as I get in my car to go to work, when I get in my car to go to lunch and when I get in my car to go home... I find it hard to believe that in this day and age where everyone is a "clear channel radio" etc, that the local DJ's are playing anything by choice anymore... I'm sure that some big-wig at clear channel is picking canned playlists to be played by the local stations... I say this because I can listen to practically any other radio station online, and hear the same songs in the same order. I listen to one station via iTunes at my desk, and I can go upstairs to my boss's office, and the same song will play on her radio about an hour after I last heard it, and then I can go to the admin's office and hear the same song about an hour after that... We all listen to different radio stations via different methods... This shouldn't be happening...

The only way to avoid any of this is to listen to something with no lyrics... Solo Piano usually does it for me when I've gotten fed up with the other crap... It takes almost two weeks of non-stop listening to solo piano to determine that I've listened to the same song repeatedly...

The only other station I turn to when I'm tired of the crap on the radio now is to listen to a 90's alternative station... They still repeat songs at a pretty regular interval, but at least it's music that I like... Which is where my original question comes in... Have I just reached the age where I cannot assimilate the new cultural items into my psyche? Have I become the adult that thinks that all music that isn't what I was listening to when I "was your age" is not "music?" Probably...

I've also become tired with crap on TV... The dramas are OK, but the comedies are stupid, at best... It's gotten so that we watch the Science Channel (or the like), just to get some substance to our TV watching... At least, that way, I learn something new (like how to extract water from Elephant dung - sorry I know that now, because, ewwwww! but if I ever get stranded in Africa, I have one additional source of water), and don't just lose a half hour of my life (yeah, thanks "Cougartown"). But, even then, you take your chances... Everyone is going with reality TV now, where they have to bleep out every other word... What ever happened to the polite times where the worst you would hear is "shoot" or "darn"? I think I'm going to blame my bad language (cleaned up on here, because my relatives read my blog, and it's embarrassing to know your grandma just read you swearing on the internet) on the fact that society is screwed up, and if you don't swear like a sailor, then something is wrong with you...

I think I may have to just turn off my TV and radio for a while and just read a book or something... People in society are starting to piss me off...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So true! I love watching The Biggest Loser and it used to be a show the whole family could watch but now all I hear is BLEEP BLEEP because Jillian has nothing other than curse words in her vocabulary. It gets really annoying.

Vgerdeb said...

I agree. I stick to oldies on the radio & Tabernacle Choir on CD's. Does Aaron still have all his Big Band era music? THAT'S good stuff, too!