Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ravings of a mad woman...

Yes, you read that correctly, and this will be a ranting post... You've been warned...

Are they no longer training cashiers in the supermarkets the proper way to bag groceries, or is it just my town? (it doesn't matter which store you go to, they always mess it up...)

Yes, I went grocery shopping today. My husband would have been proud that I kept the items separated into "like-groups" for easier scanning and bagging (although, they were not in a straight line, like you do, honey...) I even had a conversation with the cashier about how I grouped items together. He didn't seem to care... Then proceeded to bag ONE of my frozen juice things with some Zatarains, my cucumber with some canned items, my milk with a box of couscous, etc, etc...

If there wasn't a line behind me, I would have had him re-bag everything in this order:

Breads together with cucumber (I didn't have any other produce this trip)
Bag of Cereal (yes, the cheap stuff) and bag of tortilla chips together
Canned items in 2 bags, each double bagged
Frozen fruit juice with milk
boxes of food together

I'm not crazy, right? Things that "sweat" should not be put with things susceptible to moisture, right? Things that are heavy should be double-bagged so they don't disintegrate on the way in the door? Produce should be by itself or bagged with light items?

I know, I could have avoided all this if I had those "bring your own" bags... Well I do have them, but I forgot them... But he probably would have screwed it up with those ones too. I have even had someone put my bread in with a container of laundry detergent that we didn't find out until later that it leaked... Yeah, they are real winners up here...

It sucks that this store is the only one in town with any real selection... They know it too, so the customer service is lacking... I had to find some items to wear to the board meeting in two weeks (because all of my "nice" clothing is too small, and we are office-casual at work) and you can not go through the clothing section with a shopping cart, it is impossible. And I found a pair of boots that I liked well enough to pay a bunch of money for, but I got the "sorry - we are clearing out our boot selection to make way for summer sandals... we only have 2 pair left in size 8 1/2 and 11..." WTF... And these were actual boots, not fancy heeled boots that make my legs look fantastic... Actual "romp in the snow and not fall on your face" boots. And keep in mind, Juneau will probably still be in winter until April, and then it rains a bunch, so sandals are not really a great option here... Especially if this upcoming summer is anything like last summer... It was so unseasonable cool that I COULDN'T wear my sandals for fear of freezing my feet off...

I am going to make a formal complaint to the store about the following:
-The employees smoking in front of the entrances to the store.
-The fact that you can't navigate the clothing section.
-The lack of customer service when you need assistance
-The lack of common sense in the cashiers to know that they shouldn't put this thing with that thing...

Am I being too picky? Should I not get what I paid for?

I am also irritated that in all the land (or at least at the local Fred Meyers) there is no bra in my size... Crazy, I know... They had practically every size BUT mine... Or if they did have it, in a completely uncomfortable or ugly monstrosity... Extremely frustrating... So now I have to order one online and hope it fits... I'm not holding my breath... I tell you, it almost makes me feel like a freak of nature at the moment, if my clothing options are lacking... I'm not exactly plus size right now, but I'm not "regular" either... Sigh...

I tried watching 2001 again... I do not get that movie... Granted, I wasn't really "watching" it, I just had it on while doing some chores this evening for noise... But seriously... Someone needs to explain to me what the monolith thing has to do with anything... I mean, in the beginning, it's existence caused the monkeys to kill each other rather than just screaming at each other, and in the end, it caused the guy to go on one acid trip from hell, and you had the creepy computer in there too... I just don't get it... The best part is the computer... The interaction between the humans and the computer gives enough drama to keep me interested in those scenes, but the rest of it, I just don't get... Will somebody please explain it to me?

Once again, my husband, the love of my life, constant irritation, has done the smallest amount possible to get away with it... I'm talking about him cleaning up after himself during this rotation home... I told him that he needed to return the state of my dining room to the manner in which he found it... Well, it was ALMOST there... The table was clean, and the general area was clean, but there are packing peanuts all over the floor and one of the old side panel pieces that he just replaced... I also specifically asked him to take out the garbage before he left, but he didn't. He also didn't clean off my other desk that he was using while soldering stuff on the last rotation... I can give him the benefit of the doubt on some stuff... Like the garbage... He probably forgot it... And he probably didn't give himself enough time the day before he left to make the dining room any cleaner. OK... And I told him I wasn't going to nag him about the desk, but apparently I needed to... Anytime I noticed it wasn't clean (it honestly wasn't that often, as I've been crazy busy) I would ask him when I would be... He would always say, "I'll take care of it tomorrow" and I would leave it at that...

Honey, I know you are reading this, and I love you, but please do something when you say you are going to... You have no idea how irritating it is when you don't... Please clean it up when you get home... I mean, like, when you get off the jet, you'll unload your baggage into the house, come upstairs to let the dog out of her kennel, pet her head, change out of your uniform, then clean the desk, PLEASE! I could really use the space up here...

So now that you've read my novel, I feel better... Rant over...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I go to the supermarket here in China, it is always an ordeal. First, a lot of people peer into my cart/basket to see what a foreigner buys. And not peek, they peer. Some have been known to pry.

Second, once you get to the checkout, the cashier will take everything you are attempting to buy and lay it all out in front of her so the barcodes are all visible. (She'll attempt this even if you have a cart load of stuff and there is no way it will all fit on the belt in front of her.

Third, you must purchase your own bags (I bring my own) and then pack up your own stuff, although sometimes the cashiers help. I don't find this to be such a big deal, because these girls just have no idea how to properly bag stuff - leaky meat next to the bread - great idea!

Fourth, you must have your receipt out for checking and red stamping at the exit or they will not let you leave. Well, actually, they let us leave because they don't know how to communicate with us!

It's an adventure!
(BTW, I know you from Pilot Wives Club, I'm a pilot's wife in China.)