Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Customer service... or the lack thereof...

I have noticed, over time, that customer service in this country is lacking in pretty much all fields. Or, at least, that's how it is here...

I have noticed that the "cashiers" don't even say hello or look you in the eye anymore at the local convenience store...

I have noticed that the waitress doesn't come to check on you very much anymore, and tends to forget things, like your drink order...

I have noticed that when I have to call someone to take care of something for me (computer related, cell phone related, etc) that I get either some uppity teenager, who is there because she can't work anywhere else and is going to give you attitude about it, or some person who you can't understand because they don't speak clear english... I'm all for people immigrating (legally, of course) to this country and everything, but these people should not be answering the phones for anyone until they have a good grasp of the english language to the point that other people can understand them (this means you too, ebonics speakers...)

My first several jobs were all customer service related, and it wasn't that long ago that I worked for them. Places like WalMart, where I learned that customer service was above all else (it's not anymore, BTW... just look at your local WalMart), or doing phone customer service for companies like AT&T or eBay... Seriously... Are we as consumers not valued by these companies enough to earn good customer service? I guess not...

And to the waiter or waitress that gives me crappy service... Your tip is a direct reflection of the job you perform. I do not give out the "suggested" tips that are now pre-printed on the receipt for my benefit... If you do well, I tip well (as much as 50% in some instances)... If you suck, then you get a nickel... Why a nickel? Because that shows you that I didn't forget to give you a tip... I actually put thought into the service you provided me and I gave you your tip accordingly... It has been a while since I've given more than 10-15% of a tip... Which is abnormal for me...

This rant is being fueled by my frustration with our waitress tonight, who only checked on us after she gave us our dinner when I said "excuse me, but I never received my Diet Coke."... It's not like it was busy... I can excuse that... There were 2 tables occupied by the time we got our dinner...

1 comment:

Silvie - SE Impressions said...

I agree with you and I also hate it that customer service is not as it used to be. However, here in NL it is worse than what I have always experienced in the US. Here the waiter just looks at your table from a distance and if he/she thinks it is ok they just don't even bother to come ask if you need anything else or if everything is as wished. So we always have to wave to them to get their attention....

With regard to the supermarkets, I think it is equal. No eye contact in most cases and it often shows as if they are so unhappy with their job... I also hate it when they are chatting with other people while they are working on my groceries. I used to work in a supermarket as well and it is just not done!

The ones that are best are the small shops...they still know what service means, because they need to live from their sales...