Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Easy Deep Fried Halibut Recipe

So, Aaron was paid for flight instructing with halibut yesterday... Fresh off the boat yesterday... Yummy! Although, by the time I knew about the halibut, I was 1 hour into a meat loaf, so I wasn't about to stop cooking that to trade up...

So today was halibut day! Yay!

In the past, I have not had any good luck making halibut... Any time I tried to fry it, the breading would fall off, it wouldn't cook right, etc... I pretty much just gave up...

Since then, I have been very successful in making Sesame Chicken. The breading for it is also the marinade, and couldn't be simpler... I vowed to try it on halibut the next chance I got... Who knew it would be years later until I would be able to try it...

I decided to use the "fried fish" recipe in the same book my Sesame Chicken recipe came out of. It was easier, and I figured I'd try it first, and if I didn't like it, then I'd resort back to the sesame chicken breading...

Take 1 egg white, 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 Tbsp corn starch and mix thoroughly to combine, slightly frothy (I also added a splash of white wine to add a little flavor, and to help the marinade...) Cut the fish into 2"x 3" pieces. Add to the egg/soy sauce mix and gently stir to coat the fish. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes. While it's marinating, heat some oil (it calls for 4 cups...) to 375. When done marinating, stir gently again (I found the marinade separated a bit in the fridge) and fry the fish until golden brown. I served it with rice. Fries would be OK too - for Fish & Chips... The soy sauce doesn't make this an overly asian-type recipe... It was mild enough to be served with whatever you wanted it to go with. The recipe says that after frying, you can braise the fish in a tasty sauce... Let your imaginations fly!

1 comment:

GeronimoDriver said...

It was delicious, need to try it with fries next time...