Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Remembering Grandma...

I have been busy today working on homework and cleaning my house and dealing with the vet (grrr...). I happened to look at my e-mail just a few minutes ago and I saw an email that made me cry. Not because of the content, it was a very simple e-mail that I get many of throughout the year. It was a birthday reminder that I have sent to me a week before a birthday so I will remember to send a card or something to someone (or at least call them). Today, I got the reminder for my Grandmother's birthday on May 1st. She passed away last year...

So, I sit here thinking about how she taught me to crochet and how to shuffle cards. I am remembering how she always let me have french toast for breakfast when I came to visit, and how with every dinner, she would steam a big bowl of broccoli just for me... Well, I tell myself it was just for me, but I had to share with everyone at the table. I look over at my couch and see my afghan that she made for me, with the words "I Love You" raised on the front... I remember so many great things about my Grandma and I miss her very much. I wish I could call her and tell her about my day like I used to. I know what she would tell me when I ask her about her day... She would say "Oh, I've just been here rocking my Samson and Delilah" (my aunt's dog and cat, respectively). My grandma loved to sit in her recliner with the dog and cat in her lap and look outside at the mountains while she rocked... I miss hearing her say that. I also miss her smell... You know, the smell that says "grandma"... Whenever she would come to visit my family growing up, she would sleep in my bed. I loved how my bed and pillows smelled like Grandma for weeks after she left. I'm sad that I'll never get to have that reminder again.

So, I'm going to have my little cry and remember my grandma...

2 comments:

danette said...

(((hugs)))

love you, Jen

Vgerdeb said...

Aw, Sweetie, I know how you feel. I still cry for Aaron's grandma. You have precious memories that will last a lifetime!