Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

House Training Hell...

Let me set the scene for you... I am trying to focus on my schoolwork because I am currently failing one of my classes... I also have finals this week that I HAVE to do well on... Aaron is at work... And Lijha is driving me INSANE!!!

I understand puppies don't have bladder control and everything, but I should be able to get this dog to alert (whine, scratch on the door, etc) to tell me she needs to pee. Seriously, she used to alert all the time (but looking back, that was when we were taking her out in the front yard and she liked to run around out there)... She no longer alerts, she just goes to the back door... and pees...

I have been keeping puppy pads back there to "train" her to use those if she is in the house (and to make it easier to clean it up). But I swear to god she won't use them just to annoy me. In the last 2 hours since I got home from work, I have let her out no less than 6 times... but she has still been eliminating at the back door... Not "ON" the puppy pad, but right next to it... This causes the pee to spread out under the plastic lining of the pad and it goes EVERYWHERE! After the third time of having to mop my floor tonight because of the mess, I was on the verge of tears! I don't have time for this! I have homework to do, I can't sit and watch EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF THE DAMN DOG'S ACTIVITIES SO SHE DOESN'T PEE ON THE FLOOR!! I CAN'T TAKE HER OUTSIDE (IN THE FRONT) EVERY TIME SHE "ALERTS" BECAUSE IF I WERE TO DO THAT I WOULDN'T GET MY HOMEWORK DONE!!!

Dealing with the damn dog is a lot easier when Aaron is home. He is a lot more patient with her... I know that most of my frustration is the fact that I am already so stressed out about school that she is pushing me over the edge... I just want to cry and scream and everything... But I can't because that will be horrible for continuing the training with Lijha... It could set her back... But, seriously... I am so tired of having to stop reading/writing/organizing/etc for my homework every 15 minutes to let in/let out/clean up after the dog... It seriously makes me want to turn her into an outside dog...

2 comments:

Brittney said...

We trained Clyde to ring a bell when he wants to go out. It's just a jingle bell tied to a string tied to the door knob. We made him ring it with his nose every time we took him out so he got used to associating it. Not sure if that would help or not... We also just took him out at least every two hours in the beginning whether he told he had to go or not because we wanted him to KNOW that he has to go outside. Good luck and hang in there!

Jen said...

I've thought about doing that too. German Shepherds are supposed to be super-smart and can easily learn that... My problem is that when I have too many things on my plate (currently: work, school, training a puppy, housework, laundry, etc), I tend to freak out and think I can't get anything done... I want to take the time to train her that way, but I am so frustrated with everything else going on... It's hard to be consistent with her when I have to be at work for 8 hours out of the day... It's a lot harder to discipline her for bad behavior when I'm not there to see it... Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a break this weekend and see if I can't get her to alert by ringing a bell :)