Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

How to quietly turn 30...

My birthday has never been extravagant. I remember being so jealous of my brothers (specifically, my older brother) because they usually got to have store-bought cakes and have friends over for their birthdays. I guess that's the kind of treatment that you get when your birthday falls in the first half of the month, aka: Mom's payday... My birthday, however, falls at the end of the month. Money was not as abundant at the end of the month, so I usually had cake from a box that on more than one occasion, I had to make myself... I only remember having friends over once, and it was only two friends... So, you can see why I don't usually make a big deal out of my birthday...

This year, I was so bummed that Aaron had to work. We did celebrate my birthday early (10 days early, to be precise) and it was a small celebration - just the two of us... He did try to make it special for me, but it would have been more special if he was able to be here to celebrate on my actual birthday... Such is the life of a pilot's wife...

On my actual birthday, I opted for a quiet day. Sure, I took phone calls from friends/family (to be honest, more people submitted Happy Birthday wishes through Facebook/texting than by actually calling me) but I kind of kept to myself for the most part. I went to the gym, did some shopping, and had a massage. I went to the store and bought a small piece of chocolate cake (because it just isn't your birthday if you don't have cake).

Given my track record with birthdays, and how much they tend to disappoint me, I wonder if I should just not celebrate them anymore... (she says while listening to her cool new iPod that her husband gave her for her birthday)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Happy 30th Birthday Jen! I'm glad you had cake at least! And... you didn't make it yourself. :D My Birthday is tax day, so you can imagine what a great reminder I am to my family. :/ Besides that, there are at least three other events that surround my day, so I've chosen to leave it in the dust, and opt for a more meaningful event, like Mother's Day. Hope you have a wonderful year.

Lee said...

Glad you got your cake (and ate it too). I had another celebration to attend to ;-) so I didn't call, bad friend, bad. Welcome to your 30s! Hope this decade is awesome because you are!