Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The things you learn on the internet...

No, not that... Get your mind out of the gutter...

We have spotted evidence of mice inside the house... Occasionally, I will see one... We have been going round and round about getting a cat. We used to have 2 cats, and never saw a live mouse. In the several years that we had cats, we only ever saw 2 mice... Anyway, the reason we don't have cats anymore is mainly because I am allergic to them. Ironically, I'm the one who wants the cat to deal with the mouse... A doesn't want to deal with an allergic wife...

So I've been researching alternative methods to deterring the mice. I really don't want to kill them... I just want them to stay out of my house...

I know that mothballs are a good deterrent, but they stink to high heaven and I don't want that smell in my house...

I know I could get a sonic device to deter the mice, but some people think they aren't very effective...

I saw a natural solution that will make my house smell somewhat nice and deter the mice... I need to make "peppermint balls"... Basically put a few drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls and scatter them throughout the house. I'm not sure how well it will work, but I'm open to suggestions, as I don't want to have to call an exterminator...

I will be trying this method this week... As I go through the house to decontaminate it, I will scatter the peppermint balls in all the places where I have found evidence of the mice. I'll check them again before I leave on vacation... Hopefully, no more mice, and I'll have a refreshing scent of peppermint in my house when I return from vacation...

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I've also heard dryer sheets are a good alternative. Hate mice in the house. Spotted one in our old house when hubby was gone - of course- still makes my skin crawl a little